Sunday, October 23, 2011

Kitchen Rehab - Phase 1

We have had a really productive weekend. We started phase 1 of our Kitchen Rehab project.
We painted our cabinets. Finally! We've lived in this house for 6 years and have hated the out dated kitchen the entire time. Painting cabinets is a ton of work, but well worth it. The project started on Wednesday when I started taking handles off and we had to deep clean the cabinets in 2 rounds to get all the gunk off. Thursday was for sanding them down. Might I add, that I LOVED the sanding part! Yep. Hand sanders are awesome! On Friday Josh took off work and we got to painting. We had to prime them and then paint 2 coats of the base color and then all day Saturday finished that part. Once the paint was dry we rehung the doors and I started glazing them to give them a weathered, distressed look. Handles went back on and and TA DA...new cabinets!
We used a light blue base coat (Ancient Silver - Satin finish by Glidden paints) and a gray glaze (Elephant Skin - Eggshell finish by Behr paints).
Next up will be solid, black counter tops and white subway tile backsplash. Then, my favorite part will be putting the finishing touches on this kitchen of ours...a FARM SINK and a new faucet to match. I can't wait to see the ending result! Even with talk of moving, this kitchen HAD to be redone. I'm pretty proud of our work. It looks weird without the counters and backsplash being done, but all the more reason to motivate us to hurry up and get those steps started. It's nice to be done with this by Sunday morning. I got hit with a nasty cold on Wednesday so every step of this project came with me constantly sneezing, blowing my nose or just looking pathetic and exhausted in general. Gadisa took a well planned vacation of his own this weekend and went off to see cousins. We would not have been able to complete this at all with him running around. I've got a lovely brunch to go to mid morning with a friend and then my energetic bound of joy will be making his way back to us this afternoon. Pretty great weekend if you ask me!




BEFORE

AFTER


BEFORE


AFTER


Midway through...base coat. I was really worried about them looking baby blue, but that's where the glaze comes in and tones that down. They turned out EXACTLY like we wanted. Whew!

Close up of the effect the glaze gives.

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...