Sunday, June 24, 2012

The Flaming Lips - SOLD OUT!

My weekend started early on Thursday and a weekend it was!  We (Mammoth) produced  2 nights (SOLD OUT!) of The Flaming Lips.  It was in conjunction with the 100th Anniversary of Liberty Hall, a historic venue that is an independent film theater full time and an event hall on the side.  We had our wedding reception here and it's such a unique piece of this town.  My company had been trying to book 2 nights with this band for years and it timed perfectly with this celebration.  I was also happy to be involved with the block party that happened outside of the venue on Friday and we even streamed that performance live outside on a big screen for block party patrons to get a piece of the action as well.  We weren't sure how well it would do, but the block was packed and it was such a great time!  I saw so many familiar faces that make Lawrence, KS what it is.  Everyone was there!
One of the best parts of this concert was that it was G's first!  The hubby and I were waiting for just the right one to take him to and a Flaming Lips show is one big party of music and love.  He was a little overwhelmed at first, but  he really liked it.  I mean, what 2 year old doesn't like jumbo balloons and confetti flying everywhere.   We just wanted him to get a glimpse of the whole scene since he's such a music lover.  We didn't stay long the night we took him, but I have a feeling he's going to be a concert lover.
There are times when working in the music industry brings on a big case of burn out because I've been doing it for so long and it's a high maintenance industry.   Then, there are times when I go to a show like this and  and the crowd's reaction gives me goosebumps.  Makes me remember being that girl shoved up against a barricade in the front row, all sweaty and loving every bit of it. Shows like this make me remember why I do what I do and why I sometimes find it very hard to do anything different.  This show was legendary.  For our company and for our town.  It was the perfect way to kick off the summer!




Beautifully painted on the ceiling of the venue.




Catching confetti.

 








Block Party right outside celebrating the 100th Anniversary of Liberty Hall!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...